The 50th Reunion

May 1-2, 2009 Okay, all you fence sitters! It's time to get your stuff in the mail. You are going to miss out! DO IT NOW! SCHEDULE BELOW! Bring your cameras, your old photo albums and your best memories! BRING YOUR FRIENDS! -------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Don Starnes and A Little Help from A Friend

Don Starnes is coming from Arlington, Texas. He is one of those from 'another class,' but he has been reading the '59 Musketeers blog to keep in touch. He wrote, "I am excited about seeing some of my old friends from JOHN MILLEDGE and WOODLAWN elementary schools, TUBMAN junior high, ARC, Harrisburg, Frogholler, and South Richmond County. You see, I sorta lived all over the place and know folks from all over. Lord knows, I needed all the friends and help that I could get."

Don learned the value of an education at Richmond Academy the hard way. "I actually graduated in the class of '58, but I did so with a GENERAL diploma...which meant that I did not have the academic requirements for entry into college...even AC. I went straight to Parris Island, Marine Corps boot camp immediately after Graduation with my proud General Diploma. After my obligatory active duty in the Marine Corps, I decided that college was the place for me. I returned to ARC where I took first and second semesters of Algebra in summer school, at the same time, passing both, I was ready for Athens."

He also acknowledges the role of the school Secretary, Ms. Rebecca Burroughs, in getting him through school. He calls her "probably the most important person in my life at that time" and has purchased a page in the souvenir program book in her honor. His success in life began with determination and a little help from a friend.

There are other stories like this which will be shared around the tables over barbecue and banana pudding. And the sun will be shining!

AAB

No comments: