The 50th Reunion

May 1-2, 2009 Okay, all you fence sitters! It's time to get your stuff in the mail. You are going to miss out! DO IT NOW! SCHEDULE BELOW! Bring your cameras, your old photo albums and your best memories! BRING YOUR FRIENDS! -------------------------------------------------------

Monday, May 18, 2009

The Memorials

Every forest branch moves differently in the breeze,
but as they sway, they connect at the roots.
-Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks

Soon after I was asked to present the Memorial to our deceased classmates, I began to think of ways to acknowledge each of them without reading the growing list of names. We had determined that they would be listed in the Memory Book, but I wanted a little more than that and just the few comments that I would make.

In December, I spotted shiny, glorious purple ornaments in the holiday aisle and I had my answer! I would write the almost 80 names on purple and gold balls and hang them on a tree. I hoped it would work.

On a warm afternoon in February, I wandered the woods looking for just the right tree. I found a beautiful, bare sweet gum, its gnarly branches glowing in the winter sun. I cut three limbs and put them on the porch of my grandmother's old house. I checked them often to see that they were drying well and that the shapes would fit together. Carrying them through the woods had not been a problem, getting them the 30 miles to the Country Club was another matter.

On Saturday night, classmates were asked to place one of the balls on the tree; the list had now grown to 82. I was surprised that it began to matter whose name they hung -- not usually just a close friend, but someone they remembered from third grade or junior high or band. Each deceased classmate was remembered and missed.

I had prepared my remarks and promised not to take more than five minutes, but after we had gathered in the dining room, I knew I needed to allow some other words. Now, I'm not even sure at which point I asked for two sentences from . . . anyone. A few stood in place to remember old friends out loud; others just remembered. I think it was a good part of our time together.

NOTE: Before the Reunion, we did not have the names of Betty June Hendricks (Oglesby) (2004), Julian David King (2008) nor Douglas Granger.

------------

Thanks to Fred Fidler for bringing in the tree and to my daughter Susan for hanging the lights.
AAB

No comments: