The 50th Reunion

May 1-2, 2009 Okay, all you fence sitters! It's time to get your stuff in the mail. You are going to miss out! DO IT NOW! SCHEDULE BELOW! Bring your cameras, your old photo albums and your best memories! BRING YOUR FRIENDS! -------------------------------------------------------

Monday, August 13, 2007

"My Name Up In Lights"

One of the fun things about writing a blog is getting responses -- the lovely interaction which blog-writing brings. Sometimes the comments are from strangers, especially on my personal blog. Sometimes the notes are emails from old friends, usually on this one.

Over the weekend, a long email came from Dan Miller. He wrote that he had followed the web links mentioned in the last class newsletter. He had found both my 59 Musketeers blog and my art website. (Thanks for the compliments, Danny!) AND, per my request for links to classmates' web presence, he added this note:
For several years, I've been writing regular essays on the WSMV-TV website (still do).
The articles (more than 350 of them) are archived at my personal "Dan Miller's Notebook" website.... and in MANY of them, I write about Augusta, and the old days growing up there.
I suspect that my Augusta contemporaries might find the references interesting, and bring back a few memories.

Off the top of my head, some specific essays that reference Augusta, even ARC, are:
FRIDAY NIGHTS, EMERSON BOOZER, AND ME
WIGGLES
THE HAMMER
DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE
THE 18TH AT AUGUSTA
THE FRUIT OF THE PINE
THE DAY ALDOUS HUXLEY DEPARTED THIS WORLD
JAMES BROWN
THE GREENISH BOWL
CHRISTMAS EVE IN MY HOME TOWN
THE PLEASURES OF BARBECUE
MY NAME UP IN LIGHTS
HAIL TO THE MASTERS
CONNECTIONS
GENE AUTRY, MY HERO
THOSE THREE LITTLE WORDS
HERSHEY'S, SNICKERS, AND ARNOLD PALMER
AN UNEXPECTED FRIENDSHIP (perhaps my favorite)

And there are many others with "Augusta references" that might just stir up some old memories for folks who lived there.
Yep, Dan, quite a few have stirred up some memories for me. This one for July 24th is an example: Catcher in the Sly My uncle played for the Tigers and then for a St. Louis Cardinal farm team until he gave up baseball to become a physicist. Dan reminded me that baseball in Augusta was BIG STUFF.

So, I have added Dan Miller's Notebook to the blog list. While not truly a blog, I thought its weekly updated content fit blog better than website.

I hope to occasionally point to one of his essays as it strikes my fancy. Today, I'm just posting this photo of the RiverWalk to pique your interest in another of his recent essays "Down By the Riverside."

And the reference in the title? Check this one

You'll want to visit often.

No comments: