The 50th Reunion

May 1-2, 2009 Okay, all you fence sitters! It's time to get your stuff in the mail. You are going to miss out! DO IT NOW! SCHEDULE BELOW! Bring your cameras, your old photo albums and your best memories! BRING YOUR FRIENDS! -------------------------------------------------------

Monday, August 27, 2007

Charles Bignon: Keeping Track

Reunion committees don't just look for names, they keep track and sometimes they connect.

When we began to look for classmates before the 45th Reunion, I took out my old list of "A" names which had been assigned for the aborted 40th. I searched in as many ways as possible and I found quite a few. Then, I picked up the stack of "B" cards which had been given to Henry and began again. I finally just made some phone calls. Just out of the blue, I called people. Some remembered me; some didn't. Most were glad to hear from someone from ARC and their past.

Charles Bignon was one of those I called. He was kind enough NOT to say, "I don't remember you." I could tell he didn't. But he remembered lots of others and wanted to know about them - to catch up.

He read the Chronicle on-line everyday to keep up with his beloved Augusta. He often came over from Macon to check on his mother's house and would call or come by to talk about growing up in "PG" (Olde Town) just a block over from my house. He looked at the 1959 annual and asked about specific people who we might have found in our reunion search. He brought me his friend Willie Perkins' (ARC Class of '58) book ("No Saints, No Saviors") about their years with the Allman Brothers Band; he talked a little about those times and the job of keeping track of the band.

Sometimes I would not hear anything from him for 6-8 months and then he would call with some kind of request which was both matter of fact and specific. So, I checked his house after a storm, I wrapped Christmas presents for his family, I saved all the papers pertaining to James Brown's death and funeral, I redressed a small injury on his calf which had required an emergency room visit . . . . The last time I saw Charles we shared our first and only meal and talked about my tiny little digital camera. Later, he called to ask for more details. He liked it and thought he would buy one. When I told him the cost, he said, "Damn, Sugar, I don't want to make love to it. I just want to take a few pictures!" That was the Charles I got to know.

Charles reached the end of his days on August 25, 2007. I will miss those infrequent calls and visits from this kind and gentle classmate. I will always regret that I owed him a phone call and perhaps an email.

Charles's obituary follows:
MACON, Ga. - Charles N. Bignon, III died on August 25, 2007. Born on July 30, 1941 in Augusta, Ga., he lived in Macon for many years. He was the son of the late Charles N. Bignon, Jr. and the late Mary E. Massengale. He graduated from Richmond Academy and attended Augusta College. He worked in Atlanta and then in Macon for The Allman Brothers Band and as co-owner of The Great Southern Company. He retired in 1990. Charles is survived by a brother, Robert E. Bignon of Athens, Ga.; a sister, Gloria Anne Ivy of Belvedere, S.C.; nieces, Erin, Elizabeth and Britton; nephews, Rush, Tony, Christopher and Ryan; and many friends. Visitation will be Wednesday, August 29, 2007 from 10:30 a.m. until noon at Hart's Mortuary, located at 765 Cherry Street in Macon. A memorial service will follow at 4:00 p.m. in Athens, Ga. at the First United Methodist Church Chapel located at 327 North Lumpkin Street. In lieu of flowers, contributions should be made to the donor's favorite charity. Hart's Mortuary has charge of arrangements. Sign the guestbook at AugustaChronicle.com
Published in The Augusta Chronicle on 8/28/2007.

2 comments:

mreddie said...

After looking up Charles' photo in the annual, I remembered him somewhat but it is always sad to lose one of our classmates. ec

Annette Adams Bush said...

Eddie, I didn't remember Charles very well either until the 45th Reunion preparations put me in touch with a lot of people who I now consider friends for my senior years. AAB